Friday, November 26, 2010

Transfer to Senah, my area is called Chijolom




First I am not in Coban technically, but a part of the map called Senahu, and my area is called Chijolom. As you can see in the map it is in the deep mountains. Yes, I have a water purification kit and I use it. We have a bucket that has a filter in it and I drink filtered water so alas mother yes I will be as careful as your little boy can be. My ear has healed as far as I know but I dont know sometimes it makes weird noises that I dont like but I presume that it has indeed healed, and if not completely I know it will heal so I am not worried about it. As for the how to say the language. It is Ke-k-chi haha no t.
My companion Elder Legua is from Brigham City, Utah surpisingly enough considering to everyone else in the world he looks like he is from Peru so instead of trying to argue with people about where he is from he just says he is from Peru lol. He is a cool guy and was a soccer player before his mission. He can speak spanish and english fluente and he is working really hard on his kekchi and is actually a lot better at it than he is willing to admit haha. We, I am happy to say, are getting along just great and things actually are going pretty good for us. He helps me in the best way that he possible can, and answers all my questions about how to say stuff in Kekchi. I do not know very much about coban only that is it populated with many many different languages and cultures. As for up here in the mountains the main source of people are the kekchis and whoever else manages to come up. It is my FAVORITE type of weather, the colder kind so for that I am absolutely loving it up haha. Although it does not snow here as far as I know, Elder Legua and I are hoping for snow although they say it doesnt, but I did have a dream once that it snowed in Guatemala so I will keep you posted when I know more.
As for experiences I have had this week, it has been a really fun week for me and I honestly have no idea what happens in the lessons about 98% of the time, and often just look blankly at people when they talk to me because I have no idea what they are saying. Kekchi is a very complicated language and I can see why only those with the spirit can learn this language. To put it in perspective spanish is a breeze and a half compared to only the beginning of understanding Kekchi so lets just say it might be quite a little bit of time before I understand completely. However, one experience I had was very neat for me. My companion was teaching and I was practicing saying in my head a part that I had been trying to memorize, and during 10 seconds of my companion talking I understood what he was talking about. I was very shocked and then went back to not understanding anything. It made me really grateful to the Lord because I know only through him that I understood even the smallest part of what my companion was saying.

Elder Harmon

No comments:

Post a Comment